“Why is my energy charge high?”.
As a real estate company providing facility management services, the above question is one we hear a lot. Not only have we answered this, we have also gone ahead to answer how you can reduce your energy charge.
In Nigeria,the lack of constant supply of power is one of the major cause of a high energy charge. In the absence of power supply, the facility managers have to rely on Diesel or Petrol which is a more expensive alternative.
Nonetheless, you can still reduce your energy charge by observing the following:
- Using Air Conditioner:
- Have your appliances serviced and put into efficient operating condition.
- Turn off appliance when not in use.
- If you desire a constant cool temperature, you should use a programmable timer and thermostat control. ( Each 1oC reduction of the thermostat will save about 10% on your energy usage)
- Retain heat or cool air inside your home by using fabric window coverings instead of using the more fashionable shades or blinds. Use a liner for extra weather protection in raining season and as a light cover in dry season.
- Choose the right equipment – strike the right balance between budget and effectiveness.
- When using other equipment/appliance
- When acquiring new appliances for the house, it is advisable to buy appliances with a good energy rating (i.e. total wattage output). This has a major impact on energy consumption at home.
- Use energy saver bulb, though more expensive than high wattage bulbs, it lasts longer and saves you cost on energy consumption.
- Choose energy-efficient refrigerator: Refrigerator is working non-stop and the energy it consumes adds up quickly.
- Regulate your Heat Water Usage: A continuous working water heater consumes a lot of energy which is not ideal. When you operate your water heater efficiently by regulating thermostat, it reduces energy usage as soon as the water heater cut-off while you can still continue to enjoying hot water in your bathroom until the water temperature reduces.
- Unplug electric appliances and components when they’re not in use, as they draw power and increase your bill even when not operating.
Our property management team at Fieldco Limited can help you effectively by keeping track of maintenance requests and ensure you stay efficient.